The first day of Spring is still a month away but now is the time to plan for painting the exterior of your house. Exterior house painting is an important part of maintaining and enhancing the curb appeal of your home. Because painting the exterior is recommended every 5-8 years it does require a significant investment of time, effort, and money, so it’s important to do it right. Here are some tips for exterior house painting, including the best time of year and temperature to paint your home.
- Choose the right time of year: The best time to paint the exterior of your home is during the late spring or early fall. This is because the temperature is moderate and the humidity is lower, which makes the paint dry faster and adhere better. Painting during the summer months when it’s hot and humid can cause the paint to dry too quickly and may result in cracking or peeling.
- Check the weather: Before you start painting, it’s important to check the weather forecast for the week ahead. You want to make sure that there isn’t any rain or high winds in the forecast, which can ruin your paint job. Also, if it’s too hot or too cold, the paint may not adhere properly.
- Prep the surface: Preparing the surface is the most important step in ensuring a long-lasting paint job. Start by cleaning the surface with a pressure washer or a high-pressure nozzle on your garden hose. Remove any dirt, debris, or loose paint. Then scrape off any remaining loose paint and sand the surface to create a smooth and even surface for the new paint.
- Protect your surroundings: Before you start painting, make sure to protect your surroundings. Cover the ground with drop cloths to catch any drips or spills. Use painter’s tape to mask off any areas that you don’t want to paint, such as windows, doors, and trim.
- Use high-quality paint: Choosing the right paint is essential for a long-lasting paint job. Don’t skimp on the quality of the paint. High-quality paint will last longer, resist fading, and protect your home better than cheaper, lower-quality paint.
- Use the right tools: Using the right tools is just as important as choosing the right paint. Invest in high-quality brushes, rollers, and sprayers to achieve the best results. Make sure to use the appropriate size and type of brush or roller for each area of your home.
- Don’t rush: Take your time and don’t rush the painting process. It’s better to do a good job than a fast job. Apply the paint in thin, even coats and wait for each coat to dry completely before applying the next.
- Be mindful of the temperature: The temperature is an important factor when painting the exterior of your home. Avoid painting on days when the temperature is below 50 degrees or above 90 degrees Fahrenheit. If the temperature is too hot, the paint may dry too quickly and not adhere properly. If the temperature is too cold, the paint may not dry at all or may crack.
- Allow for proper drying time: Allow ample time for the paint to dry before removing masking tape or touching up any areas. Depending on the temperature and humidity, this may take anywhere from a few hours to a few days.
- Don’t want to do it yourself? Call a professional like Blue Star Paint & Property who specialize in exterior home painting.
Annapolis Home Concierge Can Help
Looking to have the exterior of your house painted this spring? Annapolis Home Concierge can help. Annapolis Home Concierge maintains a proprietary list of preferred providers that have been thoroughly vetted. We are always glad to make a recommendation. If you are away and need someone to schedule and keep an eye on the progress of your project, we can help through our concierge service.
Contact Annapolis Home Concierge at 443-807-5010 to learn how we can watch over your home projects this Spring.